Tuesday, May 20, 2008

A Family Favorite



ASPARAGUS

Our families favorite vegetable. (Max not included) There is something about the tender and tall green vegetable that is so sweet and delicious. But with it being more than $3/lb at the store sometimes, we don't get it all that often. Turns out there is a great farm near by(Day Farms) that grows asparagus and you can pick it yourself for only $1/lb!!! Heaven, I'm in Heaven... We've gotten it a bunch since we heard about it, but I'VE never been. And every time I've tried they've been out. Too popular I suppose(and now I have just leaked the secret even farther)! But I find life to be unfair in that respect sometimes. Always having the right shoes in your size when you are 'just looking' and then gone when you're ready to buy. Things like that. Last night when we got there we saw a sign warning that the fields were low. But I was determined to pick some myself... And it was our FHE activity. We couldn't have just turned around empty handed. And it took about an hour in the blazing evening sun to pick each piece of asparagus to equal 3lbs. And when we left all of our shoes and all the wheels on the stroller had a mass amount of pokeys. We didn't want to track them home so we sat and un-picked the pokeys. Good thing Rich and Sophie have a fetish for picking things. When we left the farm we were all hot, sweaty, tired, dirty and hungry. But it was SO worth it!!! Fresh asparagus like that tastes amazing! In fact, that is all I ate for dinner. A large heaping plate full of fresh steamed asparagus, with butter and salt and pepper. My mouth is watering again... On top of being super yummy, this pregnancy has given me wonderful cravings for all things fresh and real. Meaning fruits and vegetables. Seriously, they taste better than ever! Meat is so-so, and sugar is good at those peak craving times, but not all the time. So maybe this baby will be a healthy eater? If not, I'm really enjoying it!

The plan was NOT to let the kids use the knives to cut the asparagus themselves, but they got really bored when Rich had to go all the way back to the van and get the stroller. I gave in and they actually did really well. PS-did you know that asparagus grew like this? I didn't. When we walked onto the field I didn't even see the asparagus at first. Till I looked really close and saw the green shoots shyly coming up through the brown dirt.

2 comments:

Kierstin said...

Oh, my goodness! I LOVE asparagus and so does my entire family! That is really good news for next year to go to the farm and pick our own. I'll bet that Peter and my Max would have a fun time together so next time you have a park playdate, call me and I'll see if we can come. That would be fun. Bunko was fun tonight and I'm actually excited to start coming regularly. If you e-mail me at kierstinlaws@hotmail.com I will send you an invite to my blog. See ya!

Steve and Cyndi said...

Yea for the new spring layout! So fun!