Monday, February 9, 2009

$25 Contest

No. It is not a contest to see who can eat all of these cookies in one sitting, much to my dismay. I'd win that one too...


We had the family of Peter's best friend over tonight to decorate cookies for Valentines Day and I couldn't even lick my fingers, let alone eat one of these tastey treats. Not to mention sneaking some cookie dough. Mmmm I love cookie dough...

I explained to my friend Jennifer (Josh's mom) about the new contest that I started today and turns out she joined up too!! I think it is totally a great idea, and an easy way to win some cash. I'm not a competitive person by any means, but I just know I can stick to this lifestyle change for 3 months, and then keep those habits after (except I will probably still sneak cookie dough!).


So, my friend Biffy put this whole thing together, and here are all the rules and what not. The pot is up to $500!! Talk about serious motivation!


$25 Contest Revised Rules - Start Your Engines!
Starting Date: Monday February 9
End Date: Monday, May 4
Okay, so I've got a lot of great feedback! I'm so excited about this! I think it is super fantastic motivation for me to be healthy. There is still time for more people to enter the contest. Tell your friends! I want to win your money! Notice two big changes on the revised rules: 1. I made a base rule for a good eating day and 2. I took out the weight loss aspect of the contest. I think this is great. It really makes the focus on healthy lifestyles. And as Mickel pointed out, these are still lofty goals. And, much to my despair, the contest will run for 12 weeks. This is going to be hard! I think it will really make the winner the true above and beyond winner!
If you are for sure in on the contest, I have already invited you to the private blog where we will keep track of our totals. I think this will be a fun way to do it.
The Rules
1. You contribute $25. The winner takes the pot.
2. You get 1 point (maximum of 4 points a day) for every day that you:
a. Have a good eating day. You can define what this is for yourself. It needs to be measurable and be a challenge for you. Although this is a personal thing, I think we need a base rule:
1 point = good eating day = no treats (I read recently that if you eat treats every day they are not treats, they are habits.)
0 points = okay eating day = 1 treat small enough to fit in the palm of your hand.
-1 points = garbaged out = More than that 1 treat that will fit in the palm of your hand
In review, you get 1 point for a good eating day, 0 points for an okay day, and -1 if you garbage out. Also, a treat is not just cookies and candy, it's also chips, fries, sugary soda, buttery garlic bread, and anything you just know is not good for you.
b. Exercise for at least 30 minutes (on Sundays I think a leisurely walk counts for this).
c. Sleep 7 hours per night
d. Keep your personal goal. Again, I think this should be measurable and declared to all participants as a way to motivate each other and keep track of each other. I think my personal goal will be to keep track of everything I put in my mouth by writing it down on thedailyplate.com.
3. You get 1 bonus point per week for posting your point total on the blog by Monday at 5 pm.4. You are honest with your competitors. At the end of twelve weeks, the person with the most points wins.
Ready, Set, Go!


Here are my new limitations.


Definition of a good eating day for me:

~ The no sweets/junk food rule (I need this one)

~ 64oz of water

~ 3 meals and (only) 3 snacks (otherwise I am a grazer all day long)

~ pass on the seconds!! (I love to eat!)

~ watch portion sizes


My daily goal:

~ no eating after 7:30pm


Wish me luck!!


1 comment:

Biffy said...

Whatever, Heather! You are toast in this contest! I love how every single person that entered is sure they are going to win. I guess we'll all just get our money back, then. :)