Monday, September 22, 2008

Canning


Well, our 2 peach trees have been trees of plenty this year. So we have been busy canning away. Come to find out I really love canning. I have great memories from being a kid and helping my mom and grandma, standing in the kitchen canning for what seemed like all summer long. Now it is my turn to be the grown up and do this by myself. Not really by myself - I've been doing it all with Rich, and then his sister Holly today. And surprisingly, Rich's dad has helped out with it too. We did a total of 90 jars of peaches, 24 jars of strawberry jam, 10 jars of strawberry-peach jam and 10 jars of spiced-peach jam. A dozen jars of salsa, 6 jars of tomatoes, and a dozen jars of pickles. I still have yet to make 2 batches of plain peach jam and I'll also try my hand at peach fruit leather this week. WE LOVE PEACHES!!

(I'd love to do pears too if there is anyone out there that knows where we could buy/pick cheap pears.)

2 comments:

Biffy said...

Holy Cow! That is so much canning! Maybe it will inspire me to get my tail in gear. I like how you cut the peaches smaller. You can fit so much more in a bottle. Smart!

JaNece said...

Way to go food storage!!! ANd I love peaches, too! I think I would eat as many peaches as I canned I love 'em so much. Way to go!