Thursday, April 23, 2009

Binki Be Gone...

Gee, that is what Max calls it...

After almost 2 1/2 years of binki bliss, we have started a new phase in our lives. No grand ceremony or planning. Just woke up one day and thought, huh, maybe I'll take the binki away from Max now. And that was that. It is gone. Absent from daylight. Shut away in the closet in the binki box. Yes, we have a binki box. Max has had a serious addiction for a long time. A crutch. But I figured we could all handle it now. He can talk so much more, which makes him happier more often, which means less (they still happen) fits, and more fun. It has been one full week and we survived. I make him willingly relinquish the coveted object before he can be taken out of the crib. So one day this last week he spent more than an hour in his crib after nap time with the door open and the binki in his mouth. He wouldn't give it up, and I wouldn't fight with him. I was upstairs doing laundry and peeked my head in every few minutes and tried to make a lot of noise so he would know he wasn't alone. And in his due time he handed over the binki, without tears. Victory!! I wasn't ready to forgo the binki at night yet. One step at a time... So now there are no more panic attacks when we are out and about, wondering if we left the binki at the store, or what I would do if he started to cry. Speaking of the store. I'm sure my wallet is about to get fat again. We were buying binkis like a staple. They were always getting lost, replaced and then found. In that order. We have 6 binki's in the binki box right now. It is amazing how they have come out of the nooks and crannies of our house. This is one hurdle I have been dreading, and it was a piece of cake. Yes!!!

PS- In October we were at the corn maze and I saw a boy who was seriously 5 or 6 walking around with a binki in his mouth. That image has stuck with me since then. I was determined not to be that boys mother.

8 comments:

Biffy said...

It's funny how kids surprise you, huh? Kate was my only true binki baby. I remember being shocked when it was so much easier than expected to take it away. Kids always keep us guessing, huh?!

Janalynn said...

It's a lot easier when they understand what you are doing. Sometimes I think parents take away comforts too soon, and the child doesn't undstand reasoning, and both child and parent suffer! Good for you, and Max!!

Michelle Denson said...

Congratulations! A big day for all of you!

Jamie said...

When Regan got put in the hospital, the dr. told us..no binkis for her at the hospital because of the germ factor. When we got home, we never gave them back to her. What an expensive intervention! Your way sounds better!

Heidi Green said...

Hey Heather, I added you to my blog list... I hope you don't mind. It's been so fun getting to know everyone through this contest and I'd love to stay in good contact :-)

As far as the binki thing goes - hooray. It sounds like it's gone better than expected. It's nice to have that happen ever once in a while, right?!

Julie said...

I read to quickly & was reading about you getting rid of your "bikini" for a few lines before I realized my mistake. LOL Well, with the way you look now, you would rock the bikini world - especially without the binki in hand... :O

Steve and Cyndi said...

Okay, I too read Bikini! Too funny!

So when are you guys coming to play? We want to go on a bike ride with you guys!! :) Shelby sure does miss PeePee Boo!, Fie Fie, and MAAAx!!

Kierstin said...

Your family is so cute. We would love to have you guys over when we have a little BBQ at our house next month. I will let you know more info if you guys want to come :)