Monday, April 6, 2009

Catch up

Mass posting with all the recent things we've done. All under this post.
Once again. I have let blogging slip. I only have blog posts for the pictures I've taken. I have missed and therefore lost, some of those wonderful and priceless moments that I used to keep on my blog. I have been busy. My washer died. Thank goodness Rich's parents are so close (in the attached apartment!) and have another washer there. It just means that much more effort to carry my dirty clothes basket down the stairs and into their apartment to do a load, and to make sure it is at a time when they, or their two other sons, are not using the washer. I am proud to say that I am still up on the laundry. I have even moved it up to 2-3 loads a day because their washer is a little smaller than mine is - or was:(
I have joined book club 2 months ago. So that has taken up some of my blog time too. Last month we read Jane Eyre. A classic. And it took a little time. This month it is Recovering Charles. A more modern story. I love to read and am surprised at how I've been able to fit it in.
I am still in my healthy lifestyle contest. 4 weeks to go!!! ( May 4th is circled on my calendar in red! I am waiting...) I am still tied in first place. I have so much more energy than I used to. I get (at least) 7 hours of sleep each night and exercise 30 minutes each day. On top of eating NO sugar. Let's pause and talk about that a sec. Sugar is in everything. And that means I eat almost none of the things I used to. I guess sugar substitutes are allowed, but I do not believe in splenda of others. I think they are worse for your body than sugar, so that really cuts out a lot of food. But I have found new favorites and discovered old ones. We are eating so much fruit!! I can't keep enough apples, oranges or bananas in the house. And I used to buy grapes, mostly for the kids, but I have been eating them too. Cheese is wonderful and no are (raw) nuts. I love bittersweet chocolate, but think its too close to a 'treat' so I haven't eaten that either. I have also gotten used to plain cheerios. And I already enjoyed my whole wheat bread we make from scratch each week. And dinners are just as tasty with my chicken, beef or fish as usual entrees, with a good portion of yummy veggies. Fresh is always better than frozen in my books. Not eating after 7:30pm as my personal goal has been really hard. I wish I would have said 8pm. Rich usually gets home late and eating together hasn't happened as much because of it. I also have limited my snacks to 2-3/day. Hard at first, easy now. I am no longer a grazer. I am not always putting handfuls of food in my mouth each time I enter the kitchen. Yeah me!! Did I mention I am up to 12 pounds lost!! And 2.5 inches on my waist!! Serious benefits. Not to mention better overall habits for the entire family. What a blessing for all of us.
Oh yeah, Peter is now registered for kindergarten. Yes I'm sure he's old enough. That was a shocker. I'm still not sure I'm ready for that. I'm ready to have a daily 2 1/2 hr break, just not sure about school and Peter mixing so well.
Max is talking so much, and we can understand most of it! Yeah!
Sophie is as emotional as ever and has taken to the phrase 'whatever'. To be used at her discretion. Whether she is happy, mad or somewhere in between.
Rich and the office are still tied at the hip, but walking along at a steady pace. We are so grateful. And Rich is wondering why he hasn't lost any weight on his diet consisting of brownies, candy and donuts as daily needs. He tries to support me in my contest though, by getting up with the baby on those rare days he wakes up early, and he is living with the fact that I haven't made sweets in such a long time. He has been going to the gym with me, and that is fun. I do run faster than him though!! I'm sure he'd pass me up too if he went everyday though.
Overall, things are sitting pretty right now. We are being so blessed in every area of our lives. And general conference this last weekend just added to it all. What a great spiritual uplift.

3 comments:

Kierstin said...

Heather, I love your new entryway. It looks beautiful. You're my hero with your making bread each week so I am starting to do that. I love baking anyway, so this should be fun. Congrats on the 12+ lbs. lost!! Wahooo for you! I love getting back into shape after babies, not the process to get there, but the feeling when you're there... finally. You look great ;)

The MK Crew said...

Way to go on the challenge. I couldn't do no sugar. I'm very impressed!

Biffy said...

You are awesome, Heather! I did buy some splenda but I have only used it three times - once to make bran muffins, once to sweeten some strawberries for shortcake (that I didn't eat), and once I tried it on my steel cut oats. It has a wierd aftertaste, so I haven't really loved it. My family has adjusted pretty well to me not baking anymore. I have been making bread, though. You should try steel cut oats. I LOVE them. I eat them with fresh strawberries on top and it is so yummy! 12 pounds is awesome and 2.5 inches is amazing! You are rocking it and totally deserve to be in first place!