Monday, June 14, 2010

ah-ha moment

ok. So what am I? Daughter, sister, wife, friend, daughter-in-law, sunbeams teacher, student, and mother. What do I do? I am a stay at home mom. Well, that is what I used to say, and I had a hard time filling my daily responsibilities at home sometimes. Well, now I'd like to call myself a homemaker. A homemaker does everything necessary to make a home. Dishes, laundry, cooking, other cleaning chores, and taking care of the kids. The difference? None. It's just a title, but in my little mind the difference is huge. A stay at home mom stays home by the title. A homemaker stays home and has duties to fulfill to make a home. It was the little ah-ha moment I needed to give me the boost to feel uplifted and ready to face my responsibilities with a happy heart. "I am folding these clothes because I am a homemaker." "I am mopping the floor because I am making my home beautiful for my family." Rather than "no one ever helps me with the laundry, and there are 6 people in this family." or "really, am I the only one that can mop this floor..." These are the thoughts that have occasionally gone through my mind while doing these things. Even when I didn't want to think the thoughts, they would appear.
I am hoping this shift in thinking will be permanant. I am now and always will be a homemaker. And I love it.

No comments: