Monday, June 9, 2008

Reading

Yesterday I finished reading Twilight (by Stephanie Meyer). It was SO good! It took me 3 days only because I was trying to be self disciplined and not read 24/7. (One reason I don't read often is because I tend to ignore the real world and live only in my book till it is done. Another reason is because I never know what to read. I usually pick my books according to recommendations from friends or family. Too many to count have loved Twilight - so I jumped on board! So if you have suggestions - let me know. I love to read.) I made ground rules for myself. Like finishing my chores, making sure I play with the kids, make dinner for my husband, and still go to bed with a clean house. After these things were done I was able to use my free time to read. And it worked, even though it was SO hard to put the book down at those climatic moments! I did run into one incident during the 3 day reading session. I will have to admit that on Friday afternoon I thought Max was playing inside, and Sophie and Peter outside. And I was reading. I was hearing too much outside noise from inside and I went to investigate. I peeked out Peter's window because the outside noise also brought my attention to the fact that either Max was playing really quiet, or he wasn't in the house. The latter proved to be true. Out the window I saw all the neighbor kids playing together (expected) and Max at the END of the culdisac, walking all by himself - alone! (unexpected!) I felt like a horrible mom! Thankfully there is hardly any traffic here, especially during the day. And what traffic we do have are local neighbors - all aware of the mass amount of children in our culdisac and in the street behind us. Still - no excuse for letting my 16 month old out without supervision. The kids response was that Max wanted to play outside and so they let him. I love my daughter; AKA the little mother. Lesson learned. All in all, I can't wait to start the next book in the series. This time maybe I'll do a little more reading outside where I can supervise my children a little more.

5 comments:

Steve and Cyndi said...

I, too, have to set rules for myself and reading! Just recently Steve and I created a movie/read night. That way he could watch a movie I don't really enjoy and I could read, and yet we could still lay next to each other and enjoy each other's company! This is how I finished a 500 pg book in just over 24 hours! I started it when Shelby went to bed at 7pm then I could hardly wait for her to take her 2 naps the next day and then I finished it after she went to bed for the night! Steve loved it because he got to watch 2 xmen movies!

Anonymous said...

I totally get the forgetting the whole world when you start a book. I do that ALL the time! I have had many "guilty mom" moments in my 13 year career as a mom, too. Go figure ;) hehe Luckily my kids have survived to tell many tales! LOL

Muir Family said...

I too, get nothing done when I read. I just can't put books down--especially the twilight series. i can't wait for the 4th one to be out. Love the series!!!!

JaNece said...

YAY! Welcome to the Twilight world! It's so fun! It's hard to put down for sure! Just make sure you don't call Rich "Edward" by accident! haha

Kierstin said...

Heather, I am SO excited for you to finish the series :) Stephenie Meyer has a website www.stepheniemeyer.com and it will give you all sorts of updates on the movie coming out in December and her new books. I have been anxiously awaiting the 4th book in the series that is coming in August! I just finished another of her books, The Host. It is really good so when you finish this series, read that one. Happy Reading!! :)