Friday, March 28, 2008

Little Miss Bossy Pants

Do you all remember these books? I loved them.
This is Little Miss Bossy...
Or maybe her name is Sophie...

Yesterday I was cleaning up in the kitchen and Sophie was with me. She decided she wanted to go watch a show on TV and went over and sat on the couch. Peter was already in the family room playing with some toys.
As soon as Sophie sat down she said to Peter "Will you go get me a drink of water and a blanket?"
He said "no".
She said "But I'm sitting down and you're not, PLEASE will you get me a drink of water and a blanket??????"
He again said "no, I don't want to".
Then it escalated a little with a firm couch slap "PETER, go get me either a drink of water or a blanket...right now..."
SO I stepped in. "Sophie you can get up and do it yourself. Why should he have to do that for you? You were just in the kitchen and could have gotten your drink." S
ophie replied with leg kicks on the couch this time "BUT HE WON'T EVEN GET ME ONE THING!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!"
Then the tears sprang loose. She ended up marching upstairs in her rage. No blanket, No drink of water, No TV show. She went to her room to cry and calm down and eventually she found something else to do.

This, unfourtunatly, was not the first bossy incident. Any helpful suggestions for what to do to cure her of this before it spirals down and out of control??

3 comments:

Steve and Cyndi said...

I've been trying to tell Steve about these books... Do you know who they are by?

jfasioe said...

No suggestion, just wait until she is 13. Then you can really call her little miss bossy.

Anonymous said...

Well, interfering like you did was good, imo. Maybe you should have a talk with her about why it bothered you to hear her telling her brother to get her something she was perfectly able to get herself...

I have always had trouble with those talks, because I have to pinpoint exactly WHY it does bother me. But I think that is a good thing.. But I do make sure and still talk to them about it, even if I have to figure it out first.

They mean more to kids, those talks, when they have a solid object/example of what their actions mean rather than an abstract idea. That is my theory anyhow :)