Sunday, August 10, 2008

One week old



Well, today is Gavin's first birthday! One week old. And we even had cake (by coincidence) to celebrate! I am here to tell you that he has been the perfect baby so far. He nurses so well, like a pro, and sleeps with the best of them. 2-3 hours during the day - and then 4-5 hours at a time in the night! I am able to catch up on rest and sleep a little without being completely drained by my baby. I keep thinking maybe something is wrong because he is so good. And I am not holding my breath that this will be permanant, but I am so thankful for his pattern so far. And his temperment is so sweet. He doesn't cry except when necessary (feedings or changings) and he tolerates the kids sloppy holding postions so well. He is going to be one tough boy after what they put him through. Sophie tends to think she can walk around and hold Gavin at the same time. Peter knows he needs to support Gavin's head which sometimes leads to a crooked neck. Maxwell gets his chance to be with Gavin too, on Rich's lap. He tries to be soft - but it usually is a little hit to the head followed by a heavy hand drag down the face. Max does like to give Gavin five on his little balled up hand. I think that is really cute when he does that.



Being confined to my room hasn't been as bad as I was thinking. The main reason being that when I get up I hurt, and so staying down is OK. Not much choice on my end. I was thinking I was healing well and on Friday night I thought I would venture a field trip down the stairs to eat dinner with the family and watch a movie. BAD IDEA!!! What was I thinking??? I paid for it for 2 days after. I won't be trying a stunt like that again until maybe next week. Is this how it is when you heal after all C-sections? Or maybe I'm just being a baby or am just the lucky one. I can finally sleep on my right side without too much discomfort. But getting in and out of that position is a chore - but well worth it - and I stay in the one position without moving until Gavin wakes me up. I didn't think I could sleep soley on my back for one more night.

My family have been so wonderful to me. Bringing me all my meals upstairs, doing laundry and taking care of the kitchen and cleaning my room constantly - somehow it has become grand central station and everyone is hanging out in here with me. Maybe that means the rest of the house is staying clean. That I would like to see...

One week down and the rest of our lives to go.



5 comments:

Kierstin said...

What a little sweetie! That was an amazing story of the birth, Heather! I hope you are feeling better now and that you'll be able to get up an around soon. My little one is 3 weeks old this wednesday and I've had so much fun with her. Aren't babies the best? I love just holding her and cradling her soft little head under my chin. Priceless...

Kristin said...

Gavin is beautiful...you definitely worked hard for this one. Congratulations! See you in a few weeks when you come through! My boys are excited to get to see the kids, they ask about Sophie and Peter all the time.

Jamie said...

Heather! Gavin is soooo cute- I have to keep reminding myself that he is only one week old as he looks much older! Hope you are resting and feeling better. What a trooper you are.

Steve and Cyndi said...

LOVE the hand in hand pictures!

Biffy said...

I am so glad that Gavin is such a good baby. He must just know that he has to be a sweetie. You deserve a good baby after your delivery. I'm glad to hear that you're staying down and on the mend. Stay upstairs as long as you can!