Saturday, August 30, 2008

Uh Oh The Big 3-0


It finally happened. Rich turned 30 years old!!!!!!!!!! He is officially old! I have always felt that 30 was old. I remember when my mom turned 30, I was 10. Now I am married to an old guy, and my turn isn't that far off! The night before his birthday (8-28-78) we stayed up until 1:30am canning homemade salsa (which is delicious, by the way) and so we slept in and I did not make a fancy breakfast like I had planned. The kids gave him their present - the new Ariel movie. In Sophie's words "I think Dad is DYING to see this movie" and we watched it over lunch as a family - with popcorn in the family room!! Fun flick that we have now seen a bazillion times in 3 days!! I took Rich shopping for a new birthday outfit and we went on a double date with his parents to see a play at Desert Star. It was called 'Scary Poppins'. It was hilarious and Rich was practically rolling in the isles! Julie, his secratary at work, made him this yummy and perfect carrot cake (above) and decorated the office for the occasion. We took him to Maggie Moo's for some birthday Ice cream today (our favorite) and then headed to a surprise birthday party that his sister, Kim, threw for him. She and I have been planning this for months. Really Kim did all the work, all I did was get Rich there. THANK YOU KIM!! YOU ARE THE BEST FOR MAKING RICH'S BIRTHDAY SO SPECIAL! She invited some old highschool friends and family for the occasion. And the best part was that we really had the wool pulled over Rich's eyes. He had NO idea what was going on, even as he walked through the door and saw everyone. I was really proud of Kim and I (and everyone else too) for keeping it a secret for so long. It was such a fun party, we ended the night by playing Rock Band. The kids fell asleep on the way home and Rich is no longer the Birthday King. He is just old!

4 comments:

Amber said...

Love this. Cute cake! 30 came and went so fast. Enjoy every minute!

Alan and Lynette said...

Wow...isn't it amazing how well Sophie knows Rich in just a few short years...already she's helping all his dreams come true:) Happy B-day Rich!

Biffy said...

Holy cow! That is some kind of birthday. You guys really know how to celebrate. And, by the way, Heather, don't you know that 30 is the new 20?! The thirties are awesome! You only wish you were as old as me ;)!

JaNece said...

Welcome to the 30's! I'm a year ahead of Richard and I've never felt better! haha I'm so glad I could come to celebrate with you guys. Thanks!! it was fun to see your family!