Wednesday, January 23, 2008

Christmas Sewing Projects




I worked on this project for months. I have been to countless fabric stores, some of them several times, to find just the right fabric, and just the right combination of fabrics. I finally decided to make both of them out of licensed fabrics, and they turned out way cute, if I do say so myself. Trying to keep in mind some of their favorites, including Peter's favorite color green, and favorite movie Cars for the backing, and I was so lucky to find this. Sophie's favorite color is rainbow (you can't tell her that it isn't a real color), and she loves Care Bears, so her backing too was perfect. Then it came to sewing, and I couldn't find my fabric cutting board, so I had to borrow one, and then find time - without the kids - to actually cut, place pieces, sew, and tie the quilts. It was a long process, with a lot of breaks. I didn't have a real pattern, just tried to copy the one we already have, so they turned out a little smaller than expected - even with me trying to compensate for seam allowances. But I would definitely do it again. They loved them!!!!! They almost replace their mickey mouse blankies (their baby blankies)! I wanted to make Max one, but ran out of time, money and energy. I'll wait till he's bigger. But I wanted to finally show them off. I think they are perfect for the kids. And they are perfect for quiet time and watching movies, they can snuggle their little feet into the little pockets at the bottom. That's the best part of a quillow. (that and you can fold them up to turn into a pillow. I didn't get a picture of that.)

5 comments:

JaNece said...

How adorable!!! I love those quillows! I've never attempted to make one, but they sure look fun to have! ANd that is so cute that your kids love them so much. I was laughing at the sacrament incident! Kids are the best! You were asking about shrink-a-dinks...I just bought a kit at the store where you can trace your pattern and then color it and cut it out. We had a lot of fun with it, especially watching them curl in the oven and then flatten out! I think I found the kit at Michaels. And as far as changing my blog background...it was a confusing and difficult process, and luckily I had my friend there to help me. I'll send you a link with directions so you can attempt it if you dare! :)

Kristin said...

When I was over Activity Days a few years ago, we made those for the missionaries serving in our ward for Christmas. They love them! One of the other leaders safety pinned where the ties would go and bound them ahead of time so we could just tie them and deliver them. Maybe next year I'll have to try those for my boys! They look great, Heather!

Jamie said...

Heather, you did great job!!! They really turned out cute.

Steve and Cyndi said...

HAPPY BIRTHDAY! Just wanted to let you know that we are thinking about you today!
Also, I saw the quillos when we were there and saw how very cute they are! I also made a mental note on how you made them so one day I can make one for Shelby!

Natalie said...

HAPPY BIRTHDAY, HEATHER!!! I sure hope you had a fun day! Relaxing! Celebrating! Enjoying! It's still your birthday in Vegas - so keep that party rollin for 46 more minutes! You are such a loyal, fun, optimistic, creative friend! I'm so happy I know you!! Here's hoping we meet up this year!! :D