Wednesday, October 24, 2007

Ice cream fun


This afternoon I was upstairs ironing some laundry and I heard the happy little song of the ice cream man driving by. The kids heard it at the same time because instantly I heard the stomping of the little feet down the hall and up the stairs with cries of "the ice cream man is here, the ice cream man is here!!!!!!!!!!!" Of course I knew that their statement really meant "Can we PLEASE go outside and buy some ridiculously high priced ice cream from the strange man driving by in the van with loud and happy music????!!!!" I was up for some fun, so we grabbed our piggy banks filled with change that we were saving for some unknown important thing, such as ice cream, and we ran out the door. We had run all of across the culdisac when I heard this crash... I turned to see Sophie, with no piggy bank in her hand. It had crashed to the ground, and broke into a million pieces. I was afraid there would be a waterfall of tears to follow. But there was only the fear that we would miss the ice cream man. She apparently didn't care about her piggy bank that she has so lovingly protected for over a year now. It's funny how unimportant material things can become in times of crisis. So we picked up every single quarter, dime, nickel and penny. They were all safely inside my bigger change jar and we were off again. We stopped at the corner to try and figure out where the ice cream man had gone to and we found him 2 blocks away!!! The kids were in heaven. So, we looked at all the delicious pictures on the side of the ice cream truck and we made our selection. Peter picked a Road Runner ice cream Popsicle. Sophie chose a very cherry screwball, and I picked Double Lemon Ice. The kids were not impressed with my selection, but that was fine with me. I like lemon ice. The total came to $6.00. We poured our change out onto the sidewalk and counted away. We made sure to pick up the broken piggy bank on the way home, because we had left it on the sidewalk while we ran to find the ice cream man. After that we ran home, opened our frozen treasure and talked about going to the dollar store to buy another piggy bank for Sophie. This was a great mommy time. Too bad Max slept through the whole thing. He really likes ice cream! (PS- You may be thinking that I left him home alone, but Matt was home from school, and he stayed with our sleeping babe while I ran with Sophie and Peter on our ice cream adventure!)

I always thought ice cream was one word, but thanks to spell check I have learned that it is actually 2 words. I had to change it 12 times in this blog!!

1 comment:

Steve and Cyndi said...

Yea for the ice cream man!