Tuesday, October 2, 2007

Peter's Marble

Yesterday I had a scary thing happen, and I needed to write about it. I was out running errands with all 3 kids - that's scary enough - but as we were loading up to go to our last stop Peter found a little glass marble in the van. (Last Christmas Peter got a marble works set and we have tons of marbles) He was really excited about his find and was showing Sophie and Max. I told him very specifically to not let Max hold it, or put it in his mouth because he could choke. Well, when we got to Wal-mart (the last stop of our errands) I was driving around looking for the best parking spot, because I was not satisfied with parking a mile away, especially when it looked like rain. All of a sudden I heard this horrible gagging sound from the back seat. I looked in my rear view mirror to see Peter with wide and scared eyes as he was drooling pretty bad and was grasping for breath! I immediately stopped the car in the middle of the parking lot and got him out. I didn't know what to do...
Peter was choking on a marble.
Immediately there was a man that saw what was happening and came over to help. He asked if we needed to call 911. I wasn't sure because he could get a little bit of air in, but not much and just barely. Another woman came next and told me to raise his arms in the air. I was trying the best I could to pat his back, and give him the Heimlich maneuver - but it has been years since I took a course on how to. Especially on little children, and especially on your own child. Then another woman came over and she said to hold him upside down. I tried everything they said, but Peter was still barely getting any air and he was turning pale. I was so scared. Finally he threw up something and the marble went down. He was then able to take a deep breath and I felt a sense of relief. He was bawling and I still felt panicked. The whole time Peter was choking Max was screaming in the car and Sohpie got out of her seat and was standing at the door of the van watching everything. But I barely noticed them while I was taking care of Peter. I had forgotten my cell phone, and some of the people offered to give me theirs if I needed it. I said no, Rich's office was just around the corner from Wal-mart, and I wanted to go straight there to see him. ( I am so grateful for the kindness of strangers who all came to my aid in my time of need) So we all got in the van and I drove as fast as I could to see Rich. I was thankful he was free of patients at just that moment. Peter was doing as well as could be expected. He said to just wait and have him pass it through his bowels. But to watch for any stomach ache or constipation. And he should be fine. So, after we were all calmed down we all talked about putting things in our mouth (again!) and that if it is not food it doesn't go in our mouth because we could choke and maybe even die. Peter and I were crying and I held him for a long time and told him how much I loved him. I am so thankful that things turned out the way they did. I really feel like we had a close brush with death. Since then I have had an even greater love for Peter and my other children, and a greater respect for my calling as a mother and the charge I have over raising my children who are actually children of God. You realize just how much you take for granted. Like each smile and each simple request for you to play with your kids. You realize just how short life is, it can change in an instant.

1 comment:

Steve and Cyndi said...

So scary. Training is one thing, but the real thing (especially one your child) is totally different. Thanks for saving Peter's life! The world won't be the same without his guys set up everywhere!