Sunday, April 20, 2008

Grandpa Great

Grandpa Great, as he is fondly refered to, had his 85th birthday today. Rich's mom had a great idea to make him a book that included letters and drawings from his children, grandchildren and great-grandchildren. My kids had fun with this, especially since they know him pretty well. He lived in the apartment on the house for quite a while during our time here. He does great magic tricks, like pulling quarters out of ears, and he always had an ample supply of animal crackers in a jar on his counter. And he was never at a loss with a great story to tell about his exciting life. He remembers everything! Names of people he knew more than 20 years ago! And vivid details of things he's done and places he's been. Amazing, I can only hope for half of his great memory when I am his age (and now too!) He has since moved (full time) into his new wife's home across town. We miss him, but still think about him often. Rich wrote a nice letter I wanted to remember full of some of his great memories with his grandpa from his childhood. Things that we don't want to forget. Here is his letter.

HAPPY BIRTHDAY GRANDPA GREAT!

Dear Grandpa,

I have so many memories with you that really made me the person I am today and that allowed me to receive the blessings I have today.
Some of the best ones are from my earliest memories of you and my dear Grandma!!! My favorite vacations were to Grandma and Grandpa’s house. I had so much fun playing on the slip and slide, watching Popeye, drinking small amounts of orange juice out of the little blue cups, sleeping to the tic tock of the grandfather clock then suddenly being awakened by the big DONG of the grandfather clock, collecting grasshoppers off of the back of the house and shooting them through the fan (I don’t think you were there for that memory), and so many others.
As I grew and you and Grandma moved closer to us I had fun spending more time with you. I remember the one on one time I had with you on our trip to Washington. I loved sitting in the back seat and feeling like a king as I ate exotic cheeses and summer sausage to my heart’s content.
Later, as Grandma grew sicker, I came to know a sweeter, gentler Grandpa. I loved watching you care for her and showing me what love really is.
Thank you for all the memories and the legacy you and Grandma have left for me and my children. I don’t know if you’ll ever know the impact you’ve had on so many lives.

Love,
Richard

No comments: