Saturday, November 15, 2008

Disney On Ice



Surprise!!


Rich called me Friday afternoon and asked what we were doing the next day. I was a little annoyed because he KNEW the long and tedious list of things to do on our one day off together. Especially since his parents were coming back on Monday and there were some outstanding projects that needed our attention. He shortly interrupted me and blurted out "I GOT TICKETS TO DISNEY ON ICE!!!!!" So let's drop everything...
We didn't tell the kids until we were driving to Salt Lake in the car. It was so awesome and they were thrilled with the excitement of a good secret and then the bursts of cheers were priceless when we finally told them where we were going! We went out to dinner at the Gateway after turning ourselves away from Build-A-Bear where there was a 35 minute wait in line... But that's really another story. But to interject a side story. Max, our wanderer, was happily walking beside our stroller. I didn't want to rock the happy mood in our family and let him walk. Well, when we entered the food court Rich and I looked at each other and asked "where's Max..." My heart dropped to my shoes. He was totally gone. What happened? Rich bolted off in the direction we had come pushing past the crowds of people running and scanning the outdoor mall for our little boy in his red winter coat, carrying his little fire engine. I was frozen for a minute, thinking, do I stay here with my 3 other kids, do I follow, do I ask for help. What do I do? I took the kids and we followed, at a much slower pace, behind Rich. In probably 90 seconds, but what felt like hours, we were reunited with our whole family again outside of a jewelry store. Someone found him, all alone, and took him in. We had to wait for security to come, and then we were off. Shaken beyond belief, but ready to continue. I'd have to say this was below the bottom of the totem pole in good parenting moments in my life. We feel blessed that things turned to our favor so quickly. The kids barely knew what happened, and Max wasn't phased at all. I should have put him in the stroller. I didn't want to share this experience. Embarrassed that we could have done this. But I didn't want to forget. You hear that this happens to everyone. Rich was actually left at a store once, and his family went home unknowingly. But until it happens to you, you just don't think about it in the same way. It was scary because Max is so little. He can't even say his own name. But as strange as it may sound. This was a bit of a spiritual experience for me too. I could feel my Heavenly Fathers love for me and my children. I could feel His trust in me as a parent. I could see answers to my quick and pleading prayers in my heart. I felt so deeply bonded with each member of my little family. I am so grateful for my family... It is the most important thing to me in this world. And we all returned to our happy family and had the best time in our back row seats at Disney on Ice. At first I was a little bummed, but soon realized they were rockin' seats for us. Because I had to get up and stand with Gavin a few times, and was still within range of my family. I'm surprised my kids didn't get frost bite on their eyes - they were glues to the ice!!! Max especially. And when Timone and Pumba came out (from the Lion King) Max couldn't stop with his little and loud 'snort snort'. We let the kids get cotton candy and a snow cone. We had SO MUCH FUN!! The whole day was just the way I wanted it (minus the loosing Max in the mall part). Everyone was happy, and we were just hanging out - doing the family thing. I loved it.

(This was Max, through the whole show)

3 comments:

Steve and Cyndi said...

Oh my! I'm SO GLAD everything turned out the way it did! That is SO scary...

Janetta said...

Sounds like an adventure you weren't planning on having! My friend and I took the girls to see Disney on Ice last week while Austin had the boys. It was fun...that was something else I haven't blogged about. It would be fun to doing something again with your family.

Amber Thompson Photography said...

Your new haircut is adorable, it looks really good on you!

Glad you were able to find Max! What a stinker lol.