Monday, November 24, 2008

Logical Laundry


I'd like to think of this drawing as directly relating to my life. But I'd entitle it "the reality of my life" And I'll tell you why...
Me & Rich, happily married. 2 people = 2 - 3 loads / week. No sweat.
Me & Rich & Sophie, a new family. 3 people = 3 - 4 loads / week. Bring on the challenge.
Me & Rich & Sophie & Peter, family of four. 4 people = 4 large loads / week. Not willing to stretch any further.
Me & Rich & Sophie & Peter & Max, bring on the new baby. 5 people = A necessary 5 - 6 stuff the washer to the brim loads/ week. One load a day with no weekend laundry. Down pat.
Me & Rich & Sophie & Peter & Max & Gavin, add the sweet little baby 6 people = Throw a wrench in my wheel. Unwilling to accept the inevitable. Picture me in diagram #7. Must figure out 7 loads/week!! What does a girl do??
I refuse to do regular household chores on the weekend. Rich gets the weekend off, and so should I (as much as possible). We leave the weekend for family fun or big projects (like the garage!). So somehow I need to figure out a new laundry life. I have accepted the fact that I can no longer get by on 5 loads a week. No matter how full I fill the washer. My system has been squashed... How do you out there do more than one load per day? I am baffled.

4 comments:

Kierstin said...

I honestly find myself doing at LEAST two loads a day. Sometimes I will even do smaller loads just to make sure my hampers are staying free and clear. My incentive is that my laundry room is in the entry/exit to my garage so we all have to see it and face it many times a day. In our old house the laundry room was a separate room that I could close the door to... that's a disaster waiting to happen with a larger family! Good luck with that little conundrum... I do not envy you.

Tawna Searle said...

Well I love the new system I have. I have 9 different baskets (this is only possible if you can find somewhere to put them) It totally cuts out the piles of laundry, because you can separate them into piles on the spot really easy instead of waiting till the laundry pile. Then you can see which loads are getting full. I need to do about 2 a day also. I find with doing the color separates it's easy to do the folding, because I would rather fold a bunch of the same type of thing at one, instead of a lot of different things in one load. Example:I can do a load of browns - easy towel load with a harder whites load in one day. I can see everyday what loads I have to do, instead of having to dig. smaller loads does make it easier to face up to the grueling folding task, to me. Anyway hop this may spark some inspiration.

Biffy said...

You are preaching to the choir, girlie! I hate laundry with a fierceness. I can stay on top of it for a week or so, then a busy day or two comes up and bam, I am drowning! I am sporadic with how many loads a day (or in the night right before I go to bed) I do. And somehow, it seems I always end up finishing or starting a load on Sunday. {sigh} I'm tellin' you, every time you add a baby, the laundry goes up exponentially. Good luck!

Janalynn said...

Waite for teenagers, then you won't be doing laundry all the time, however, you might be fighting for the machine. My poor washer and dryer are going 24/7. I'm not sure whats worse. Having to do lots of loads myself or hearing the washing machine constantly going and being kicked out of my washing time, with a "I have to do a LOAD MOM, NOW!" Look on the bright side, You're in Control for the time being. Good Luck there is no easy answers.