Sunday, May 11, 2008

Mother's Day

I always knew I wanted to be a mother. In school when they asked what you wanted to be when you grew up, I always said a mother. Even in college I had a hard time sticking to one major and was never fully satisfied. I knew that there was more in store for me. And motherhood is definantly more than I ever thought. More work, more effort, more time, more energy, more love, more laughter, more rewarding, more wonderful, more deep, more spiritual, more more more than I ever thought. I often wonder what I would have done without my children. The path Rich and I took of having children so soon in our marriage was so right for us. And now as we prepare for our 4th baby to enter our family I am filled with joy and anticipation of a lifetime of motherhood and one day grandmotherhood. Watching and rearing these beautiful and precious spirits into who their Father in Heaven wants them to be. This is my calling in life. One day maybe I will add something else to my plate, but for now I am needed soley in my home, as a wife and mother. I am thankful and happy for my calling as a mother. But I could not mother my children without something, or better someone(s) to help me on my journey. My mothers.
Rich and I have been through a lot of Mother's Days now. And for me they have been even more special since becoming a mother myself. I reflect on how I am doing as a mother and how I am doing compared to the wonderful mothers in my life. There are so many motherly examples, too many to count. Of course the most influential are my mother, and also Richard's mother since we've been married.
I remember growing up that my mom was always there for me. She worked full time as a single mother, but I never remember her being gone. She would always spend as much time with me as I wanted. Especially when it came to working together! Then I think I was spending time with her on her terms. But that's ok. I learned so much from her. I remember her encouraging me in the desires of my heart. Always telling me how wonderful my art project was or telling her friends how good I was in a play. Motherhood is sometimes blind... I remember her telling me that I had to do the chores because I was part of the family. And families work together to keep the family going. I remember lots of canning in the summers. Peaches, tomatos, pickles. My mom is not afraid of hard work. Even our family vacations must have been hard work for her. Especially as a single mom. They are hard enough for me when I have Rich to help. I remember learning principles of the gosple from her too. Things like paying tithing, prayer, love, and especially endurance. My mother is the best example of a life time of endurance. And now she is a grandma taking her motherhood to a whole new level. And she is an amazing one. She is always sending postcards just for the kids, and she calls them and shows her love to them, all the way from Canada! She is Grandma Canada and we love her!!!!
Rich's mom is a brave woman. She had 10 kids!!! Can you believe that?! Rich is #5. So he got the best of both worlds as her parenting style changed in her life. She always has a smile on her face and never says no to someone in need. When Rich and I were young, in love and engaged I lived in her house. We were poor as most love birds are, and she helped whip our wedding together as easy as pie! She goes where the wind, and her family take her. Always calling a new place home while Rich was growing up. She has so many talents that she has tried to pass down to her children. Piano, cooking, cleaning, grammer, theater, sewing... The list goes on and on. She always has a song and an answer for everything. It is easy to see the gospel working in her life as she shares her testimony through life and living. I am thankful to know her and be a part of her family as a daughter-in-love as she often says. And she is grandma to my kids. They love the treats she always has in her cookie jar, and the hugs and laughter she shares with them. She writes a grandma letter monthly and sends it to all her grandkids. In the effort to keep them all conected as they live apart from each other. She will never cease to be busy loving her family.

So now as a mother in my own family I try to pattern my parenting style after the best of both our worlds and hope and pray that my own children will turn out the best possible. And I know they will be influenced by many countless motherly examples, but I hope they will draw extra strength from their grandmothers. They are the ones that have helped mold our lives in wonderful ways. Mothers are so important and we are truely blessed to be close in spirit to ours.

3 comments:

Biffy said...

Beautiful post, Heather. Being a mother is my dream come true as well.

J and J said...

Okay Heather Ford! You made me cry! What a beautiful definition of a great mother you are and you make it look effortless! Thank you for sharing such a lovely tribute to your moms too.

J and J said...

Okay Heather Ford! You made me cry! What a beautiful definition of a great mother you are and you make it look effortless! Thank you for sharing such a lovely tribute to your moms too.