Thursday, May 29, 2008

School's Out For Summer...

Us moms and kids
Teresa, Pam, Chrissy, Biffy, me, and Jill. Tawna was home sick.
Kaimen, Cade, Sophie, Holly, Cameron, Brooke, Madison



Sophie was in a Joy School Preschool this year where I took turns teaching with myself and 6 other moms. Our group had 5 girls and 2 boys. Half of the group was left over from a play group/early preschool we did last year for our kids. Today was our little graduation party at the park. The kids had the best time playing together for more than 2 hours for the last official time. It was bitter sweet for me. In more ways than one. (Max has been teething this week. My boys teeth bad. No appitite, runny everything, high fevers, majorly fussy, whining, and needy. And that's just round one. After a few days of this we get a brief reprive and then it starts all over again for another few days until the tiny tooth actually makes a permanat apperance in the mouth. Today was the first day where there was no fever and he actually ate breakfast. So I thought we'd be good to go.) Max cried almost the entire time we were at the park. Maybe I should have gone home and saved everyone having to view his awful and miserable state. But I didn't. This picnic was just as much for me as it was for our kids. I have LOVED all the moms we've been with this year. Making some new friends along the way during our 10 minute conversations between dropping off and picking up our kids each week. They've seen me at my worst when I have just rolled out of bed, somehow dressed Sophie (and only her) and loaded everyone up to take her to preschool, usually late. And I feel that allowing people to see me in that state means there is some underlaying bonding going on. At least on my part. I have walked in the rain and snow sometimes to get her there. And I have been able to teach and watch these kids grow. Getting them ready to enter the school world next year. This experience has given me a greater appreciation for real teachers and what they go through on a regular and daily basis. Where do they get all that energy from? Mine is about spent, and for that I am gratefull the year is at an end. It has also swayed my decision to send Peter away to preschool in the fall. I think it will be best for all concerned. But I truely hope I can muster up the energy to stay in touch and in friendship with these gals. They are great and I have learned so much from each one of them. We are all in different and the same stages of life, at the same time. Teresa is so easy going yet grounded. Pam has 5 kids from 15yrs down to 2yrs and has so much inner wisdom along with a great sense of humor. Chrissy is so fun and smart, always ready to listen. Biffy is Biffy, so easy to get along with, understanding, and sees the big picture in life. Jill is quiet yet firmly planted in love and life always with a smile on her face. And Tawna is so willing to do for others yet is not afraid to ask for help when she needs it. I am so thankful for these women, just as I know Sophie is for their children. We will miss our regular contact with them, but look forward to this next phase of life, whatever it may be.

2 comments:

JaNece said...

We did a similar program w/ Lukas and it has been wonderful (and hard) and it's sad to see it end. The kids are so cute and I know just how you feel! Whew! Your group looks fun! :)

Biffy said...

I feel the same way about preschool ending. It has been so fun, I am ready for it to be over, and I will miss the moms as much if not more than the kids. Don't worry though, Heather, you're stuck with me! The Sophie/Holly/Heather/Biffy team will survive and flourish!